Let’s Get Ready for Sunshine!
May 5, 2020
This week’s free project tutorial is a sunglasses case. It’s time to let the sun shine!
Sewing Level: Confident Beginner
Find a pdf of the instructions to download at the end of the post.
Here’s what you will need:
- Outer fabric: 7 x 8 inches cotton fabric
- Lining fabric: 8 x 8 inches cotton fabric
- Fusible interfacing: 7 x 7 inches (fleece or craft weight)
- Loop: 3 inches of ribbon
- Sewing machine or hand sewing needle
1.Centre the fusible interfacing on the wrong side of the lining fabric. Iron it to stick it in place following the instructions on the interfacing.
2. Place outer fabric on top of lining fabric with right sides together. Match up one long edge. Pin together along the long edge.
3. Sew along the long edge with a 1/4 inch seam.
4. Iron the seam flat towards the lining piece.
5. Fold ribbon in half lengthwise. On top of outer fabric pin ribbon loop near the top edge matching the raw ends of the ribbon with the fabric edge.
6. Fold the case in half lengthwise (the loop will be inside). Match up the side and bottom edges and pin all around the open edges.
7. Sew a 1/4 inch seam around the edge starting on the outer fabric. Leave a 2 inch gap in the seam at the bottom of the lining fabric.
8. Trim the corners. Turn the case out the right way through the gap. Make sure the corners are poked out.
9. Sew the gap closed by top-stitching or slip stitching.
10. Push the lining inside the outer fabric so that roughly 1/2 inch of lining shows at the top. Press well with an iron.
Download a pdf file of the instructions here.
Enjoy! It would be wonderful to see your makes. Please share them with us on Instagram or Facebook @stitcherybc #isewlation #portmoodysews